It gives me great pleasure to officially welcome and introduce you to our wonderful (CAMLE) Colorado Association of Middle Level Education 2011 Colorado Trailblazer Schools to Watch.
These schools exemplify the four critieria outlined by the National Forum to Accelerate Middle Grades Reform:
- Academic Excellence
- Developmental Responsiveness
- Social Equity
- Strong Organizational Structures and Cultures
We are indeed fortunate to designate six fabulous new Schools to Watch and one redesignation. It was a challenging year as we reviewed and visited more schools than ever before. As you may know, last year we designated no new schools and affirmed only one redesignation. But neither snow nor sleet will keep CAMLE away from validating success in action.
- Altona Middle School – Longmont (St. Vrain)
- Gypsum Creek Middle School – Gypsum (Eagle County)
- Hotchkiss K-8 School – Hotchkiss (Delta County)
- Jenkins Middle School – Colorado Springs (District 11)
- Powell Middle School – Littleton (Littleton)
- Steamboat Springs Middle School – Steamboat Springs (Steamboat)
- Russell Middle School – Colorado Springs (District 11)
You can learn more about this schools by checking out our Visit and Learn page on this website. Each of our Schools to Watch is highlighted on this page.
Our 2011 Schools to Watch will be honored at the National Schools to Watch Conference in Washington, DC on June 23, 2011. Over 300 schools have been designated with this distinction over the past 8 years. The Honorable, U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan will be speaking at the Thursday night Gala Dinner celebrating the Schools to Watch successes.
I’d like to thank our incredible contingent of CAMLE Schools to Watch volunteers to traveled over 4,358 miles collectively during the months of January and February to visit schools across our great state of Colorado.
Boy did we have fun!